Friday, September 11, 2009

Onward Christian Soldiers



Jake and I traveled to Edgeomb, Maine, to help instruct, test and qualify the newly formed Lincoln County SAR Team. The team were well prepared for their exercises and did well. I was properly impressed, which is not that easy to do.

It rained all day and so we had to actually use the stuff in our ready packs. I pulled out, of course, my circa 1986 RAFMRT blue Goretex raincoat which sits unused in the bottom of my pack from year to year without much thought. And of course, as it did even when it was brand new, it leaked at the seams.

Luckily for us, the Salvation Army was on hand to counter the cold rain with hot food and comfort. I have several relatives who are stalwart members of the "Christian soldiers" back home, in the brass band country of industrial Britain, catering to all the ills that bedevil no-longer-relevant industrial towns.

On this day I was very glad to see them because I was cold and wet and hot food was the necessary antidote. The Sally Annie's "Dinty Moor" type beef stew is a by-word around SAR teams in Maine.

No comments: